Apr 17, 2012

Ka-sani yun-zune-ga (It's Official or Part 2 in a Series of Firsts)

The issue of my true Ghanaian-ness has been the topic of much debate amongst random strangers who hear my North American accent, so I was more than ready to jump at the chance to "perform my civic duty" and register to vote. Finally, I'd have a legit piece of ID I could whip out as proof that I belong! (despite not being able to speak a local language or cook a local dish - indicators of true African pride)!

Now I know it doesn’t sound all that exciting but this wasn’t just a matter of filling in some paperwork and signing my name on the dotted line … this was biometric registration! There was going to be technology involved – fingerprint scanning AND lamination, how could I say no? I couldn’t, so I went down to my nearest polling station which happened to be conveniently located five minutes from my house.

The rules for getting registered are pretty standard; any current form of government issued ID could be used to confirm your identity and information OR you could bring two newly registered voters to vouch for your identity.( I still find this concept incredibly interesting as it seems to impede the government’s efforts to discourage non-Ghanaians and those who are not of voting age to participate in the general elections, but that’s a tangent for another time :)). With the relevant information a government official fills out details like name, age, DOB, address as well as both parents’ names before directing you to the “biometric station”.

First, you're welcomed to the fingerprint station where they employ the 4-4-2 system . So they scan the four fingers of the left hand, four fingers of the right and then both thumbs. I’ve only ever seen “bad guys” get their fingerprints taken on TV and it always looks as though the scanners are extremely sensitive and barely require any pressure to be applied on the screen – NOT THE CASE. I felt like a criminal AND a bit of an incomp when I had to go through the process twice to obtain a full scan of my fingerprints. It was pretty impressive to see a copy of my “unique” prints on the computer screen though.

Next, was the photo, le sigh. It doesn’t seem to matter how much preparation goes into attempting to looking good for a piece of government issued ID, it just never turns out as well as its supposed to. Just as I sat down to have my picture taken and asked the guy if I could smile, he smugly informed me that he had already taken it. I look offended or bored in the picture, which makes me wonder if I always appear that way :/ 

I'm also really fortunate that the polling station I registered at didn't experience any disruptions or violence (particularly from the youth) due to inter-party conflict. Hopefully the peace and tolerance observed during this first step in the electoral process is a sure sign of good things to come. Youth Alive's governance campaign geared at the youth has been gaining momentum mainly in the Upper West Region by educating and encouraging peaceful participation.

As the registration process comes to an end May 5th I'm thankful that things have gone smoothly thus far. I’m glad that I got to participate in a new system that hasn’t even hit North America yet :p – let’s just hope having my fingerprints on file with the government doesn’t come back to haunt me :)

PS I apologize for the lack of photos (i.e. NONE) but I didn't think it would be apropos to take pics at the registration station or to have "government issued ID" on display for the world :)

More visuals next time!

7 comments:

  1. I hope u wud smile nxt time u taking a gov. ID photo before u take a sit for it.

    Jamal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally loved your rendition of the process. Went through just about the same myself, except for the whole finger printing thingy. Did it once.
    About the picture taking, hmmmmm... I almost wrote a post about it. For some reason they don't tell you when they taking the picture. I sat down with this wonderful (at least I'd like to think it was) smile on my face for like a minute. The lady says nothing so I figure she'd hint me when she's ready to take the picture. So I'm sitting with this totally bored expression on my face and then finally I get tired of waiting, so I ask about the picture. Guess what? She'd already taken it. My picture was a cross between extremely bored and half asleep (that picture in no way looks like me).
    I also pray for a peaceful elections and at least this whole biometric process is helping them get all those that registered more than once.
    I really must apologise though if my comment seems more like a blog post (bad habit):D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries on the long comment, thanks for sharing your thoughts! It's funny that you say you look bored in your picture too ... maybe that's how they think we'll all look on election day! Hope not

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
    2. you really observed things out there. it seemed to be same everywhere.

      Delete
    3. Tagged you in the 11's game. Check my blog.

      Delete
  3. nice entry..greeting from Malaysia..!! i follow your blog no7~ follow me too~ thanks friend..

    ReplyDelete